When it comes to WordPress, the most popular Content Management System on the planet, there are basically 4 components required to make it all work:
Web hosting, a domain name (free with our preferred hosting), a WordPress theme (many options available for free or premium), and plugins which expand the functionality of the core WordPress (optional but highly recommended. Thousands of free and premium available).
In today’s fast moving mobile age, we highly recommend that you choose a “mobile responsive wordpress” theme so that it your website is completely optimized for viewing on any device whether it be a computer, laptop, smartphone, tablet or TV etc.
There are many WordPress themes that are already mobile optimized and also stand alone plugins that can generated a fully optimized version of a non-optimized theme. For easy of use and functionality it is much better to begin with a theme that is already mobile ready.
Installing Self-hosted WordPress
How To Install Self-Hosted WordPress (Video) via cPanel and Fantastico
WordPress Lessons (Docs)
Setting up WordPress.com Blog
WordPress Plugins (Only work with Self-hosted WordPress)
Plugins are tools to extend the functionality of WordPress. Plugins offer custom functions and features so that each user can tailor their site to their specific needs. More info.
Highly Recommend WordPress Plugins
Recommended WordPress Themes
ThemeMaha’s Curated | Ultimate Modern Magazine Theme
More Recommended WordPress Plugins
All In One SEO Pack – A must have WordPress plugin!
Contact Form 7 – Contact Form 7 can manage multiple contact forms, plus you can customize the form and the mail contents flexibly with simple markup. The form supports Ajax-powered submitting, CAPTCHA, Akismet spam filtering and so on.
Google XML Sitemaps – Another must have WordPress plugin!
MaxBlogPress Ping Optimizer plugin corrects WordPress’s pinging system. – Another must have WordPress plugin!
Really Simple CAPTCHA is a CAPTCHA module intended to be called from other plugins. It is originally created for my Contact Form 7 plugin.
TinyMCE Advanced – WordPress WYSIWYG editor.
WP Clone – Move or copy a WordPress site to another server or to another domain name, move to/from local server hosting, and backup sites.
WP Super Sweep sweeps your WordPress site for over 25 security issues know to WordPress in one simple click.
Better WP Security – The easiest, most effective way to secure WordPress. Improve the security of any WordPress site in seconds.
W3 Total Cache – Improve site performance and user experience via caching: browser, page, object, database, minify and content delivery network support.
GrowMap Anti-Spambot – Defeat automated spambots by adding a client side generated checkbox asking the comment author to confirm that they are not a spammer.
Wordfence Security – Wordfence Security – Anti-virus and Firewall security plugin for WordPress
The WordPress Mobile Pack is a complete toolkit to help mobilize your WordPress site. It has a mobile switcher, themes, widgets, and mobile admin pane.
WordPress Notification Bar – A quick and easy notification bar and call to action for your site.
WP URL Rotator Plugin – The URL Rotator plugin allows you to specify a group of target URLs you’d like to cycle through, then specify a jump key that allows you to reference this group from anywhere.
Google Drive for WordPress plugin used to backup WordPress files and DB with Google Drive.
Here’s the list of plugins referred to in the following video by Don Crowther:
- Akismet for comment spam
- Google Analytics for WordPress, easily hooks WordPress to Google Analytics
- All In One SEO Pack – the changes WordPress should make
- Google XML Sitemaps – creates a google sitemap, important for SEO
- Fast Secure Contact Form — allows visitors to send you email
- ShareThis — social sharing buttons in many different iterations
- W3 Total Cache — creates flat (not dynamic) files
- Disqus Comment System — Replaces wordPress comment system with more socially-aware system
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin — shows related posts from your blog
- WP-DB-Backup — backs up your WordPress database
- Smart YouTube — easily insert YouTube videos
- Exclude Pages from Navigation — allows you to remove pages from your nav bar
- AskApache Password Protect — adds level of protection for passwords
- Dynamic Content Gallery — Creates a dynamic image gallery
- FD Feedburner Plugin — redirects all feeds to a Feedburner feed
- Featured Content Gallery — creates a rotating image gallery
- Twitter Tools — integrates your blog with Twitter
- WordPress Firewall — blocks suspicious-looking requests to WordPress
- 1-click Retweet/Share/Like — Puts a Like button on posts
- WP Security Scan — performs a security scan of your WordPress installation
- WP Touch — formats your site with a mobile theme
More Theme Choices
Secure Form Mailer Plugin For WordPress
When I saw Popup Domination 3.0 I just had to have it!
What’s included in the package?
A feature run down of PopUpDomination
– WordPress Plugin & Stand Alone Version
– 6 Beautiful themes with 15 Colour Options
– Works with ALL mailing list providers
– Works with all caching software
– Select specific pages for PopUp to appear
– Exit PopUp functionality
– PopUp after a certain number of impressions
– Plus a whole load more!
A word of caution… Although there are many, many WordPress plugin options available, the best practice should be “less is best.” The more plugins you add, potentially, the slower your website will load which may affect your new and returning visitors.